1. Walk on the LEFT side of the road to the office--that's away from the crowds waiting for Jeepneys--preferably in the bike/jogger lane of the street.
2. Smile and nod whenever you don't understand (completely) what someone's saying. Don't be afraid to admit that you didn't understand. You'll get the gist, eventually, as long as you keep whoever it is talking. And gesturing.
3. Ask questions. Ask them again. And again.
4. Walking with purpose conveys a sense of confidence that others will pick up on. Also, that act of confidence will translate into REAL confidence.
5. Pull UP on the bathroom key at school as you turn it.
6. Don't try to get on the internet at school between the hours of 11 AM and 4 PM. You might as well bang your head against the wall.
7. If you need to take money out of BPI bank machines (because, so far, those have worked), and you visit the one on campus for a cash infusion, you will inevitably discover that it is the only one (of 4) that is OUT OF ORDER.
8. Instead of getting frustrated with a plan doesn't work, do something else. Immediately. Trying and retrying the original plan is ridiculous and maddening.
9. Take your own TP, hand towels, and soap or hand sanitizer with you wherever you go.
10. No deodorant works in the tropics. For you, at least. Deal with your smell. (It's natural!)
11. Don't spray sweat-proof OFF on newly shaven legs. Stings!
12. Lizzie hogs all the sheets and blankets. So make sure that you keep your little pink blankie, the new one, all to yourself.
13. Drink lots of water.
14. Ice cream is best eaten out of the carton in front of the TV, perhaps when the Tyra Banks show is on and Lizzie has her dirty feet stretched out in your lap.
15. Life is good all over.